In the age of constant social media consumption, we have forgotten to chew the cud.
Social media and Dr Google do all our thinking for us. They give us stories, ideas & concepts along with all the answers we think we may need, limiting our ability to think, feel and do for ourselves.
I believe that reading a book is a way to reconnect with ourselves.
• an escape from the gadget and screen world of today. Being unplugged is a great feeling.
• someone’s else’s thoughts, ideas, journeys and teachings that broaden our understanding of other cultures, times and experiences.
• excellent discussion pieces to share with friends and family, sparking a multitude of topic avenues
Health aspects of Reading:
• Sitting still to read, releases stress and relaxes the body, therefore, improving physical health.
• Teleporting into a great story frees the mind from day-to-day worries or the never ending “to do” list, improving our mental wellbeing
• Reading makes us visualise the story, idea or concept in our minds and challenges us to consider options and adapt accordingly.
• Reading helps us develop more cognitive balance and gives us the opportunity to unhook ourselves from our single pointed perspectives
• Apparently, the vocabulary of a reader is three times more than a non-reader, encouraging better word use and increased confidence
• Reading is an opportunity to increase our tactility…. turning pages, holding it up, the feel of the paper
• Reading increases and encourages the creative imagination process
All in all, reading a book is a secret elixir to good health. They are everywhere and there is no real excuse to not have a book in hand.
Improve your health – Start reading a book today.